Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I'm new here.

Be gentle.  I'm new here.  

Where do I start?  Let me just say that it's very interesting how a professional's world can quickly be turned on it's ear.  I lost my job.  Well, I didn't lose it, it was taken from me.  The 78 year old New Mexico Symphony Orchestra folded, taking my, and several other very talented musicians jobs away from us.  

We will rebuild.  Something will rise from the ashes of the NMSO. More on that later.

What does that have to do with this blog?  It's the introduction I needed to demonstrate some of what this blog will be about.  It's no longer about how good of an artist you are in this business anymore (although, that still remains the MOST important part).  Versatility, compatibility and perseverance are more crucial than ever to an artist's success these days.  I'm going to write about what I think is important for musicians, both accomplished and aspiring, to know and understand in this business.  I'll also write about the journey I'm about to re-embark on as an unemployed musician.  I've been there before, I can do it again.

Call it advice, call it ranting, call it whatever.  I hope that this blog will help, inspire and entertain, and I hope you'll come back.

JM

No comments:

Post a Comment